- Curriculum Vitae
- Short Biography
- Research interests
- Academic memberships
- Conference papers, public talks and presentations (since 2011)
- Grants and Awards
- Interviews and Media Entries
- Organization of academic events
- Institutional Responsibilities
- Scientific Reviewing Activities
- 2018 Habilitation Nomination to Privat Dozentin of the University of Zurich, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, with a Venia Legendi in Sinology with a social sciences focus. Habilitation title: From Developmentalism to Ecological Awareness and Back: The Example of the Greater China Region in Comparative Perspective. June.
- 2011 - 2012 Postdoc in Taiwan (National Cheng'chi University) and Hong Kong (Hong Kong University) under the supervision of Professor Tang Ching-Ping. February 2011 - April 2012.
- 2008 PhD in Oriental Studies. Dissertation title: L'evoluzione del diritto di proprietà in Cina (The Evolution of Property Rights in China). Supervisor Prof. Guido Samarani. Institute of Asian and Oriental Studies, Ca' Foscari University of Venice, Italy. Defense: February 22.
- 2002 Master of Arts in Oriental Languages and Civilizations. Dissertation title: Economic and Political Relations between Hong Kong, Taiwan and Mainland China. Supervisor: Prof. Francesco Gatti. Institute of Asian and Oriental Studies. Ca' Foscari University of Venice, Italy. June 27.
- 2002–2003 One year at the Beijing Language and Culture University (Beijing Yuyuan Xueyuan).
- 2013 - Senior Lecturer in Greater China Studies. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Department of Sinology, University of Zurich, Switzerland.
- 2009 - 2011 Lecturer and research assistant. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Department of Sinology, University of Zurich, Switzerland.
- 2007 - 2010 Lecturer and research associate. Institute of Oriental Studies, Ca' Foscari of Venice, Italy.
After completing my Ph.D. in the Department of Chinese Studies, Ca' Foscari University of Venice, on the topic of private property in Mainland China, I became research assistant at the Department of Sinology, University of Zürich; since 2012 I hold a permanent position as Teaching and Research Fellow in Greater China Studies at the Institute of Asian and Oriental Studies at the University of Zürich. I am also a research fellow of the European Research Center on Contemporary Taiwan (ERCCT), in Tübingen. For my postdoc research I have spent 14 months in Taiwan between 2011 and 2012 based at Chengchi University but carrying out fieldwork all over Taiwan. The research stay was made possible thanks to two scholarships, one by the Swiss National Foundation (SNSF) and one by the Center for Chinese Studies of Taiwan's National Library.
My postdoc research, which has been published last year by Routledge (see) analyses environmental governance mechanisms and actors in Taiwan through a multi-disciplinary research approach. Based on extensive and original research, the book includes four different case studies, which have all taken place since 2011.
At the University of Zürich I teach several courses related to both China as well as Taiwan's social and political transformations in the past 30 years (BA level) and several courses at MA level in which I make extensive use of Chinese language materials.
I have recently obtained my Habilitation in Sinology with a social sciences focus at the University of Zurich; as of June 2018 I hold the title of Privat Dozentin (PD).
- Chinese contemporary society
- Chinese politics
- Environmental issues in China and Taiwan
- Nuclear politics in China and Taiwan
- Civil society in the Greater China Region (PRC, Hong Kong, Taiwan)
- Environmental governance in the Greater China Region
- AAS (Association for Asian Studies) since 2010
- EACS (European Association of Chinese Studies) since 2007
- EATS (European Association of Taiwan Studies) since 2012; on the Executive Board since April 2016
Conference papers, public talks and presentations (since 2011)
- Foraus Think Tank China Policy Expert Talk: "China-Taiwan Relations". February 13, 2019. Zürich. At: https://www.facebook.com/events/2303613776340129/
- EATS 2019 (European Association of Taiwan Studies). Paper by the title: Climate Change Politics: Will these raise Taiwan's recognition?". April 10-12, Nottingham, UK.
- Taiwan's Cultural Diplomacy: A Decade of Intercultural Discovery. Talk by the title: "The Example of the Taiwan Studies Project at the University of Zurich". October 25-27. Vienna, Austria. At: https://tsc-conference.univie.ac.at/ongoing-event/taiwans-cultural-diplomacy/
- EATS 2018 (European Association of Taiwan Studies). Paper by the title: "Sustainable Taiwan: A Study of Green Civil Society-State Interactions during the Tsai Ing-Wen Administration". April 4-6, Zurich.
- EATS 2017 (European Association of Taiwan Studies). Chair of the MA Panel. 2-4 March, 2017. Venice.
- UZH Conference Civil Society Versus the State? Emergent Trajectories of Civic Angency in East Asia in Comparative and Transnational Perspective. Paper by the title: "Green Civil Society and the State under the Ma and Tsai tenures". September 13, 2017. Zurich.
- SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies) Book launch: “Routledge Handbook of Contemporary Taiwan”. Paper by the title “Anti-nuclear power movement”. 14 February, London.
- Public Lecture ""Environmental governance in Taiwan: a new generation of activists and stakeholders". October 19, University of Ca' Foscari, Venice.
- EACS 2018 (European Association of Chinese Studies). Discussant for the Panel "Is Air Pollution Changing China? (Part I and II)". August 26, 2016. St. Petersburg. Russia.
- EATS 2016 (European Association of Taiwan Studies). Paper by the title: "Small Parties' Electoral Strategies for the 2016 Elections: Changing Power Relations". March 30- April 1, Prague.
- UZH Conference Citizen Participation in Local Governance in China and Beyond. Paper by the title: "New channels for popular participation in China: the case of the London Plane Trees‘ Protection Movement in Nanjing" September 8, University of Zurich.
- SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies) Book launch: “Continuities and Change in Policies in Taiwan”. Paper by the title “Change and Continuities: Taiwan’s Post-2008 Environmental Policies”. 9 February, London.
- EATS 2015 (European Association of Taiwan Studies). Paper by the title: “Newly born “Tree-hugging” phenomenon in China and Taiwan: rules’ based participatory approaches”. April 8–10, Krakow.
- Vienna Taiwan Lecture Series. Paper by the title: “Taiwan’s Post-2008 Environmental Activism”. April 22, Vienna.
- 2nd World Congress of Taiwan Studies . Presentation of my recent book: “Environmental Governance in Taiwan: A New Generation of Activists and Stakeholders”. June 18–20, London.
- SOAS Book launch "Environmental Governance in Taiwan: A New Generation of Activists and Stakeholders". December 3, London.
- Confucius Institute Event. “Environmental and Not in My Backyard (NIMBY) Protests in China”. November 12, Basel. At: http://www.ciub.ch/en/event/environmental-and-not-in-my-back-yard-protests-in-china-2/
- SOAS conference Social Movements in Taiwan after 2008. Paper by the title: “The Evolution of the Anti-nuclear movement in Taiwan since 2008”. 16–18 June, London.
- China Insight Workshop. Paper by the title: “China’s environmental struggle: a focus on air and water problems”.February 11, Olten.
- UZH Conference New Media, Social Capital and Urban Mobilization in China. Zürich University, Political Science Department. Paper by the title “The role of microblogs in China's recent environmental protests”. February 28 – March 1, Zürich.
- UZH Conference Political Protests, Social (Non-) Movements and the Role of Digital Media – Ph.D. Workshop. UPRP Asia and Europe. (Keynote speech) “The role of social media for environmental activists in China". April 24, Zürich.
- 7th SOAS Taiwan Studies Postgraduate Summer School. Centre of Taiwan Studies. Papers by the title: "Nuclear Referendum Issue" and "Environmental Governance in Taiwan". June 19–21. London.
- EATS 2013. Paper by the title: "Perception of risks towards nuclear energy in Taiwan and Hong Kong". May 2–4. Lyon.
- EACS 2012, Paper by the title: Nuclear Energy Friend or Foe: the View from Taiwan and Hong Kong.September 4–8. Paris, France.
- Young Scholar Workshop, ERCCT, "Environmental governance in Taiwan". June 26–July 1. Blaubeuren-Tübingen.
- EATS 2012, Paper by the title: Failure and Successes of the Environmental Movement in Taiwan: Guo Guang Shihua vs. Taipei Dome.June 18–21. Soenderborg, Denmark.
- UZH Public Event. Ein Jahr nach Fukushima – Die Debatte zu Atomenergie in Asien und Europa (Podiumsdiskussion). March 13. Zürich.
- Symposium at Taiwan National Library. Paper by the title: 臺灣環保團體的成功與失敗：以國光石化與臺北大巨蛋為例 (Successes and Failures of Taiwan's environmental movement: KPTC vs. Taipei Dome). November 24, Taipei.
- Assembly for Democracy in Asia, Democracy and Development: challenges for civil society organized by the Taiwan Foundation for Democracy. Title of the speech: “Active participation of youth in democratization”.August 22– 23. Taipei.
- AAS/ICAS Joint Conference. Paper by the title: Environmental governance in Taiwan: the case of Danshui.March 31–April 3, Honolulu, Hawaii.
Grants and Awards
- "International Short Visits Grant" from the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) for a two-weeks visit to National Taiwan University in Taipei, in collaboration with Prof. Ho Ming-sho, in September 2016.
- Recipient of the Graduate Campus "GRC Short Grants" to sponsor the workshop, Civil Society in Taiwan and Hong Kong: Looking Back and Reaching Out co-organized with Brigit Knüsel and in cooperation with the China Policy Institute at the University of Nottingham. Online at: http://www.asienundeuropa.uzh.ch/events/conferences/taiwan.html
- Recipient of the “Graduate Campus –GRC- Grants & Schools” Grant to sponsor the workshop, The Chinese Communist Party and the Politicization of Traditions, co-organized with Dr. Ralph Weber and Phillip Hectmancyz. Online at: http://www.asienundeuropa.uzh.ch/events/conferences/communistparty.html
- Nomination for the Mercator Award for Junior researchers 2013 as nominee for the philosophical faculty of the University of Zürich
- Young Scholar Award granted from the European Association of Taiwan Studies (EATS) in June 2012 with the paper " Failure and Successes of the Environmental Movement in Taiwan: Guo Guang Shihua vs. Taipei Dome".(http://eats-taiwan.eu/about-us/young-scholar-award)
- Five-months scholarship awarded by the Center for Chinese Studies (CCS) to carry out fieldwork in Taiwan
- Fourteen-months scholarship (February 2011 – April 2012) awarded by the Swiss National Foundation (SNF) to carry out fielwork in Taiwan and Hong Kong . The fieldwork has resulted in my forthcoming book: Environmental Governance in Taiwan: A New Generation of Activists and Stakeholders. Online at: http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9781138831407/
- European Association for Chinese Studies, Chiang Ching-Kuo Foundation Library Travel Grant
Interviews and Media Entries
- «Hongkongs Schatten auf Taiwan – Am Anfang stand ein Mord» Simona Grano, Privatdozentin für Sinologie am Asien-Orient-Institut, gibt in der Sendung #SRFglobal des Schweizer Fernsehens Auskunft über die Wahlen in Taiwan.
In: SRF 1, 05.12.2019
- «Xi's Personenkult in China» Simona Grano, Privatdozentin für Sinologie am Asien-Orient-Institut, spricht auf SRF 4 News über den Personenkult um Xi Jinping in China.
In: Radio SRF4-News, 11.11.2019 (MP3, 2022 KB)
- Grano, Simona Alba. Climate Change Politics: Can These Raise Taiwan's Recognition? 25 April, 2019. Taiwan Insight. Online at: https://taiwaninsight.org/2019/04/25/climate-change-politics-can-these-boost-raise-taiwans-international-recognition/
- Taiwan's Voters Pull Plug on Energy Resources. December 7, 2018. By Jens Kastner. Interview with Simona Grano. Online at: https://www.asiasentinel.com/econ-business/taiwan-voters-pull-plug-energy-sources/
- Grano, Simona Alba. China unter Xi Jinping: Der Gesellschaftsvertrag bröckelt. In: Neue Zürcher Zeitung, 26 August 2015, p.12.
- Daniel Kübler and Simona Grano. 2015. "Das Internet fegt Chinas Regierung nicht weg". UZH Magazine 3/15. Pp. 52–55. Online at: http://www.kommunikation.uzh.ch/dam/jcr:3c2e1e4b-f9ff-4620-9391-14108ad08532/52.pdf
- Simona Grano. 2013. Interview for Li Keqiang's official visit to Switzerland on the People's Daily: 瑞士专家称李克强访问瑞士意义重大(Swiss expert considers Li Keqiang visit as very important). Online at: http://politics.people.com.cn/n/2013/0525/c363864-21614777.html
- Simona Grano. 2012. Interview. "Natürlich ist die Zentralregierung beunruhigt: Warum der arabische Frühling nicht auf China übergreift". Interview von Alice Kohli mit Simona Grano In NZZ online. 16 February, 2012. At: http://www.nzz.ch/natuerlich-ist-die-zentralregierung-beunruhigt-1.15065143
Organization of academic events
- Convenor of a series of scientific film events, the Zurich Taiwan Film Series. At: https://www.aoi.uzh.ch/de/institut/events/events/other/taiwanfilmseriesIcitizen.html
- Organizer of a series of scientific events, Taiwan Lecture Series. At: https://www.aoi.uzh.ch/de/institut/events/lectureseries/taiwanlectureseries.html
- Convenor, together with the Board of the European Association of Taiwan Studies, of the 15th EATS Conference in Zurich. April 4-6, 2018. See: http://eats-taiwan.eu/conference/eats-2018/photo-gallery; https://www.facebook.com/pg/eatstaiwan/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2128704980691853
- Taiwan Lecture Series. Talk by Ming-Yeh Rawnsley. Cultural Democratization and Taiwanese Cinema. 10 April. At: https://www.aoi.uzh.ch/en/institut/events/lectureseries/taiwanlectureseries/rawnsley.html
- Convenor, together with Professor David Chiavacci and Dr. Julia Obinger, of the international conference: "Civil Society versus the State? Emergent Trajectories of Civic Agency in East Asia in Comparative and Transnational Perspective", September 13-15th, 2017. At: http://www.agenda.uzh.ch/record.php?id=34165&group=95
- Taiwan Lecture Series - Opening Session. By Dafydd Fell. "Understanding Taiwan's Political History (1945 - 2000) through 11 Advertisements". At: https://www.aoi.uzh.ch/en/institut/events/lectureseries/taiwanlectureseries/fell.html
- Convenor of the international conference "Civil Society in Taiwan and Hong Kong:
Looking Back and Reaching Out" co-organized with Brigit Knüsel and in cooperation with the China Policy Institute at the University of Nottingham. June 7-8, 2015. At: http://www.asienundeuropa.uzh.ch/events/conferences/taiwan/postercivilsociety.pdf
- Convenor of the workshop, "The Chinese Communist Party and the Politicization of Traditions", co-organized with Dr. Ralph Weber and Phillip Hectmancyz. University of Zürich, Switzerland. At:
Grant acquisition for a two-year Taiwan Project (100.000 CHF for 2 years) from the Ministry of Education (R.O.C.) starting from September 2017.
For more information on the various activities organized within the Taiwan Project framework see: http://www.aoi.uzh.ch/de/sinologie/forschung/taiwan-studies-project.html
- 2019 - Representative of the Privat Dozentinnen und Dozenten category in the Commission for the promotion of academic careers (Laufbahnkommission) at the University of Zurich. At: https://www.phil.uzh.ch/de/fakultaet/organeundkommissionen.html.
- 2017 - 2019 Director of the Zurich Taiwan Studies Project. At: https://www.aoi.uzh.ch/de/sinologie/forschung/taiwan-studies-project.html
- 2017 - 2019 Organizer of the Zurich Taiwan Lecture Series. At: https://www.aoi.uzh.ch/de/institut/events/lectureseries/taiwanlectureseries.html
- 2017 - 2019 Organizer of Zurich Taiwan Film Series. At: https://www.aoi.uzh.ch/de/institut/events/other/taiwanfilmseriesIcitizen.html
- 2013 - Under Graduate and Graduate Student Advisor, University of Zurich
- 2012 - Departmental coordinator for the open-access publications' repository Zora (Sinology Department)
- 2010 - Student Advisor for SEMP Exchanges (previously Erasmus Exchanges)
Scientific Reviewing Activities
2019 Scientific project proposals' reviewer for the Swiss - Chinese Young Researchers' Exchange Programme. Sino-Swiss Science and Technology Cooperation Programme 2017 - 2020.
2016 - Review Board, EATS (European Association of Taiwan Studies)
2017 - Reviewer for conference papers, EACS (European Association of Chinese Studies)
2012 Scientific project proposals' reviewer: Marietta Blau Scholarship/BMWF (Bundesministeriums für Wissenschaft und Forschung), Austria.