The database is funded by the University of Zurich; access is free. Search results may be analysed online, it is possible to navigate within them, and they can be saved as PDF report for further processing. Should material from the database be used in publications, we welcome a corresponding source reference.
Accessing the database
A help function is integrated into the database to facilitate its use. Researchers may apply for a personal account which allows for the collection and saving of PDF reports for a duration of twenty-four hour.
- Titles of Chinese works are transcribed in non-concatenated form. Personal and geographical names are concatenated.Transcription in Pinyin.
- Titles listed in the bibliography: Only first editions are taken into account except for revised editions. All bibliographical entries refer to China only, except for Ph.D. dissertations, no other than China-related works by authors listed in the database are included. Only articles of special importance are listed..
- Persons: Biographies of sinologists and translators receive a full treatment. Biographical data of other persons is only included insofar as it pertains to the relationship between China and the West.
- Biographical data of authors and philosophers is only included if it touches upon the relationship between China and the West. Information concerning the reception and influence of authors and philosophers in China or the West respectively is recorded in detail.
- Listings of secondary scholarship are not intended to be exhaustive since it is usually covered by later monographs and dissertations. Comparative studies on writers or philosophers from China and the West are not included.
This project is chiefly administered by our retired scientific librarian, Mrs Anne-Marie Werner. We should like to thank her and all assisting researchers, who help us to sustain a high quality of the data, as well as all our colleagues all over the world who have readily supplied us with information. We welcome questions, suggestions, supplements to the contents of the database. They may be submitted to Ms. Anne-Marie Werner (email).
The PDFs on the website are regularly updated. Individual reports and new authors may be automatically generated in the database.
An instructional file of how to generate individual PDFs from the database will be placed here soon.
Names of Individuals appearing in the database
A (PDF, 960 KB) B (PDF, 2688 KB) C (PDF, 3140 KB) D (PDF, 3085 KB) E (PDF, 541 KB) F (PDF, 1789 KB) G (PDF, 2119 KB) H (PDF, 3366 KB) I/J (PDF, 1469 KB) K (PDF, 1597 KB) L (PDF, 4697 KB) M (PDF, 3431 KB) N (PDF, 773 KB) O (PDF, 357 KB) P (PDF, 1514 KB) Q (PDF, 622 KB) R (PDF, 1886 KB) S (PDF, 4006 KB) T (PDF, 1474 KB) U/V (PDF, 851 KB) W (PDF, 3265 KB) X (PDF, 797 KB) Y (PDF, 1186 KB) Z (PDF, 2009 KB)
Transcriptions of Place Names
Early Non-pinyin Transcriptions of Place Names compared to Wade-Giles, Hanyu Pinyin
Arts and Chinoiserie (General Art, Architecture, Arts and Crafts, Calligraphy, Ceramics, Cinema, Garden architecture, Graphics, Illustration, Music, Painting, Photography, Sculpture)
Bibliography Theory / Bibliophily / Library science / Publishing
Economy and trade
History (History, Administration, Law, Politics, Communism, Marxism)
Literature : China
Literature in English (America, Australia, Canada, England, Ireland)
Literature in French (France, Belgium)
Literature in German (Austria, Germany, Switzerland)
Literature : Russia
Literature: Eastern Europe
Literature in Eastern european countries: (PDF, 247 KB) Bosnia-Herzegovina / Bulgaria / Czechoslovakia / Hungary / Poland / Romania / Serbia / Ukraine / Yugoslavia (2017)
Literature other countries
Other Western European Literatures (PDF, 195 KB): Antiquity / Greece / Italy / Netherlands / Portugal / Spain (2017)
Philosophy : Names in alphabetical order
Philosophy : China
Philosophical works in English (America, Australia, Canada, England, Ireland)
Philosophical works in French (France, Belgium)
Philosophical works in German (Austria, Germany, Switzerland)
Philosophical works in other european Countries (Antiquity / Czechoslovakia / Denmark / Greece / Hungary / Italy / Netherlands / Poland / Russia / Ukraine)
Sciences (General Science, Archaeology, Astronomy, Astrology, Ethnology, Anthropology, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Natural science, Geometry, Medicine, Physics, Chemistry, Technology)
Sinology and Asian studies
Sinology and Asian Studies: Names （2019） (PDF, 4323 KB)Names in alphabetical order (America, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czechoslovakia, China, Denkmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Switzerland)
Social Sciences (Education, Healthcare, Library Science, Psychology and Behavior, Schooling, Societies, Sociology, Universities)
Translation : History and Theory
Travelogues and Embassy records
Travelogues and Embassy reports Names (2019)