Satendra Kumar is a social anthropologist. He received his Ph.D., M. Phil and M.A. from Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi. He works across the fields of sociology and anthropology of caste, class, agrarian political economy, and political anthropology. His research investigates how marginalized groups understand and engage with politics and the state in Uttar Pradesh and Punjab, North India. He has been awarded the British Academy Fellowship at the London School of Economics and Political Sciences, UK. He has also been a Visiting Fellow at the Johns Hopkins University, the Centre for the Study of Developing Societies (CSDS), Delhi, Bielefeld University, Germany, University of California, Berkeley, and Indian Institute of Advanced Study (IIAS). He is currently Coeditor, Book Reviews Section at the Journal of Peasant Studies.
Agrarian Political Economy, Political Cultures and Democratic Politics, Youth and Neo-Religiosity
- Kumar, Satendra. 2022. (Forthcoming). “Transforming Universities: Student Activism, Caste and Politics in North India” in South Asian Students' Mobilities and Mobilizations, ed. Andrea Kolbel, Joanna Pfaff-Czarnecka & Susan Thieme. Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- Kumar, Satendra. 2022. Popular Democracy and the Politics of Caste: Rise of the Other Backward Classes in India. London: Routledge.
- Kumar, Satendra. 2022. “Rise and Fall of the Bharatiya Kisan Union: The Farmers’ Protests of 2020-21in the Making of New Rural Politics”. Sociological Bulletin, 71 (4): 551-565.
- Kumar, Satendra. 2022. “Editorial: New Farm Bills and Farmers’ Resistance to Neoliberalism”. Special Issue, Sociological Bulletin, 71 (4): 483-494.
- Kumar, Satendra. 2021. “Class, Caste and Agrarian Change: The Making of Farmers’ Movement”. Journal of Peasant Studies, 48 (7), pp. 1371-1379. (ISSN: 0306-6150)
- Kumar, Satendra. 2021. “New Farmers’ Movement”. Seminar, 748, pp.41-45.
- Kumar, Satendra. 2021. “Jats into Kisans: The Remaking of Farmers’ Identity”. The India Forum, pp. 1-7.
- Kumar, Satendra. 2020. “Uttar Pradesh Local Elections 2015: Money, Muscle and Manipulation in a Village”. Commonwealth and Comparative Politics, Vol 58 (1), pp. 43-62. (ISSN: 1466-2043).
- Kumar, Satendra. 2018. “Agrarian Transformation and New Sociality in Western UP”. Economic and Political Weekly, Vol 53 (26-27), pp. 39-47. (ISSN: 0012-9976).
- Kumar, Satendra. 2018. Badalte Gaon, Badalta Dehat: Nayi Samajikta ka Uday. Delhi: Oxford University Press (in Hindi).(ISBN: 9780199489671)
- Kumar, S. 2017. "After Silent Revolution: Most Marginalised Dalits and Local Democracy in Uttar Pradesh, North India". Studies in Indian Politics, Vol 5, Issue 1, pp. 18-31. (ISSN: 2321-0230)
- Kumar, S. 2016. “Agrarian Transformation and the New Rurality in Western Uttar Pradesh.” Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 51, No. 25-26, pp. 61-71. (ISSN: 0012-9976).