Table of contents
Neslihan earned her M.A and Ph.D. from Bilkent University. Her MA thesis, “‘Loyalty in Can Yücel’s Shakespeare Translations,” focuses on the definition of loyalty in literary translations from a cultural perspective. Her Ph.D dissertation, “The Reshaping of the Literary Publishing Field and Emergence of the Literary Translation Market between 1850 and 1900”, criticises the mainstream discourse of Turkish literary modernisation and provides a new perspective for the literary history with emphasise on the literary translations using Pierre Bourdieu’s sociological approach to the dynamics of cultural production. She has experience in teaching academic writing in Turkish and Ottoman language classes. She was a member of the Expert Committee for Intercultural Dialogue of Turkish National Commission for UNESCO between 2008 and 2013, and she conducted secretarial works of the committee. She also took part in the joint common heritage projects designed by Expert Committees for Intercultural Dialogue and Intangible Heritage and carried out in cooperation with Macedonian, Bulgarian, and Romanian cultural institutes. She has been a member of ÇEVBİR (Professional Association of Translators) since 2006. She has been in the editorial board of Kebikeç since 2011, a peer-reviewed academic journal in the field of humanities and social sciences published since 1995, and in the editorial board of fe journal: feminist critique, a peer-reviewed journal of the Center for Women's Studies (KASAUM), Ankara University, since 2018. >
- Modern Turkish literature starting from 19th century
- Literary theories
- Literary history
- Literary production in the cultural field
- Translation studies
- Dynamics, agents and politics of translation
- Adaptations and translations of One Thousand and One Nights in Turkish literature
Current Research Project
Retelling The Tales in Modern Times: The Traces of the Thousand and One Nights in Modern Turkish Narratives
- “The Nineteenth Century Ottoman Literature Through the Lenses of Translation Studies”. In The Ottoman Modern: Reform and the Tanzimat Novel. Edited by Monica Ringer and Etienne Charrière. (I.B. Tauris, forthcoming in 2019)
- with Mehmet Kalpaklı. “The New Image of the Beloved in the Old Mirror: Reflections of Neoplatonic Tradition in Modern Turkish Poetry”. In Faces of the Infinite: Neoplatonism and Poetics at the Confluence of Africa, Asia and Europe (British Academy publications, forthcoming in 2019)
- with Mehmet Kalpaklı. “Two Perspectives, One Scheherazade: Turkish Poetry and The 1001 Nights”. In One Thousand and One Nights: Comparative Perspectives on Adaptation and Appropriation (Gorgias Press, forthcoming in 2018)
- with Mehmet Kalpaklı. “İpek yolu’nun Ölümsüz Anlatısı: Binbir Gece Masalları”. In Binbir Gece Masalları Bursa Nüshası. Edited by Sadettin Eğri. Bursa: Bursa Büyükşehir Belediyesi Kitaplığı, 2016: 24-30.
- “‘Lutf ile, ta’bîr eyle’ Kaya Sultan ve Melek Ahmed Paşa Anlatısında Rüyaların İşlevi” (“Please, interpret my dream”: The role of dreams in the narrative of Kaya Sultan and Melek Ahmed Pasha [in the book of Evliya Çelebi] ). Ayşegül Keskin Çolak’a Armağan: Tarih ve Edebiyat Yazıları. Edited by Hasan Çolak, Zeynep Kocabıyıkoğlu Çeçen ve N. Işık Demirakın. Ankara: Kebikeç Yayıncılık, 2016: 39-51.
- “İpek Yolu'nun Ölümsüz Anlatısı: Binbir Gece Masalları”, Elfü Leyletin ve Leyle Hikâyeleri Binbir Gece Masalları Bursa Nüshası, (Bursa Büyükşehir Belediyesi Kitaplığı, 2016), 24-30.
- “Gathering Around a Table: Meals and Cuisine as a Means of Interculturality”. Workshop Proceedings: “Sharing the Same Taste” The Turkish and Romanian Common Traditional Cuisine. UNESCO. Ankara, 2013: 23-30.
- “The Role of Women in the Interaction and Transfer Between the Turkish and Macedonian Cuisine Culture”. Sharing the Same Taste: The Turkish and Macedonian Common Traditional Cuisine Workshop Proceedings. UNESCO. Ankara, 2010: 74-7
- “The Role of Gender in the Performances of Traditional Music”. The Existing Musical Forms and Traditional Cultures of the Peoples of the Border Regions of Turkey and Bulgaria Workshop Proceedings. UNESCO. Ankara, 2010: 43-49
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
- “Dünkü Çocukların Uluslararası Mektup Arkadaşları ve Son Mektuplar”. Kebikeç İnsan Bilimleri için Kaynak Araştırmaları Dergisi 40 (Aralık 2015): 313-321.
- “1 Yüzyıldan Güncel Tavsiyeler: Tuhfetü’l- Müteehhilîn: Evlilik Armağanı” (Up-to-date advices from 12th Century: Tuhfetü’l- Müteehhilîn [A Gift of Marriage]). Amargi 36 (2015): 125-128.
- with Kalpaklı, Mehmet. “Eternal Narratives of the Silk Road: The Thousand and One Nights from Samarkand to Istanbul”. Bulletin of IICAS 19 (2014): 81-97.
- “Çeviride Sadakatin Yeni Tanımları: Shakespeare’in A Midsummer Night’s Dream’i için Can Yücel’in Bahar Noktası Bir İhtimal Midir?” (New Definitions of Loyalty in Translation: Is Can Yucel’s Translation Bahar Noktası an Equivalent of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream?). Kebikeç 32 (Kasım 2011): 187-237.
- “Hüsn ü Aşk’ta Hüsn’ün Âşık Rolünün İmkânsızlığı Üzerine” (On why Hüsn cannot be given the role of lover in Beauty and Love of Seyh Galip). Journal of Turkish Studies Volume 34/III (June 2011). Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations, Harvard University.
- Wells, H. G. Küçük Savaşlar. Trans. Abdullah Turhal. Ankara: Altar Maket, 201
- Adıvar, Halide Edip. Sevda Sokağı Komedyası. İstanbul: Can Yayınları, 2011. (with Mehmet Kalpaklı)
- Binbir Gece’ye Bakışlar (The One Thousand and One Nights’ Reader). İstanbul: Turkuaz Yayınları, 2010. (with Mehmet Kalpaklı)
- Sharing the Same Taste: The Turkish and Macedonian Common Traditional Cuisine Workshop Proceedings. UNESCO: Ankara, 2010. (with Mehmet Kalpaklı, Öcal Oğuz and Elizabeta Koneska)
- Adıvar, Halide Edip. Tatarcık. İstanbul: Can Yayınları, 2009. (with Mehmet Kalpaklı).
- Neuman, W. Lawrence. Toplumsal Araştırma Yöntemleri. Trans. Sedef Özge. İstanbul: Yayınodası Yayınları, 2008.
- Brown, Chris and Kirsten Ainley. Uluslararası İlişkileri Anlamak. Trans. Arzu Oyacıoğlu. İstanbul: Yayınodası Yayınları, 200
- “Susan Sontag: An-aesthetics and Agency” in Tough Enough: Arbus, Arendt, Didion, McCarthy, Sontag, Weil; Deborah Nelson, Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press, 2017, 96-120. (Forthcoming in 2019, İstanbul: Kolektif Kitap)
- Peirce, Leslie. “İnsan Kaçırmanın Namuslu ve Namussuz Halleri: Osmanlı Dünyasında Hükümdar, Eşkıyalar ve Kahramanlar”. Kebikeçİnsan Bilimleri için Kaynak Araştırmaları Dergisi 34 (2012): 41-60.
- H. de Groot, Alexander. “Hollanda Basınında Mustafa Kemal Atatürk ve Türk Milli Hareketi: 1919-1923”. Kebikeçİnsan Bilimleri için Kaynak Araştırmaları Dergisi 25, (2008): 183-209.
- Perec, Georges. “Sopranolarda (Cantatrix sopranica L) Domates Mevzulu Bir Organizasyonun Deneysel Olarak İspatı”. Monokl 2 (February 2007).
- Cox, Michael. Leonardo da Vinci ve Onun Süper Beyni. İstanbul: Timaş Yayınları, 2004.
- Arnold, Nick. Gizli Hazineler, Mumyalar ve Arkeoloji. İstanbul: Timaş Yayınları, 2003.
- Poskitt, Kjartan. Yazı Tura ve Olasılık Hesapları. İstanbul: Timaş Yayınları, 2003.
- with Mehmet Kalpaklı. “The New Image of the Beloved in the Old Mirror: Reflections of Neoplatonic Tradition in Modern Turkish Poetry”. Faces of the Infinite: Neoplatonism and Poetics at the Confluence of Africa, Asia and Europe. SOAS and British Academy, 9-11 November 2017.
- with Mehmet Kalpaklı. “Two Perspectives, One Scheherazade: Turkish Poetry and The 1001 Nights”. One Thousand and One Nights: Comparative Perspectives on Adaptation and Appropriation One Thousand and One Nights. University of St Andrews, 31 August -1 September 2017.
- “The Rise of Printed Book and the Emergence of Literary Translation Market in the Late Nineteenth Century in Ottoman Empire”. Translation meets Book History: Intersections 1700-1900. Moore Institute. National University of Ireland, 25-26 May 2017.
- “Old Wine in A New Bottle: Huru On the Road to Feminism”. Scheherazade in Classical, Modern and Postmodern Worlds. University of Sheffield, 19 May 2016.
- “From A Midsummer Night’s Dream to Bahar Noktası: ‘Loyalty’ and Limits of Creativity”. Creavity in Translation/Interpretation and Interpreter/Translator Training. University Suor Orsola Benincasa (Naples, Italy) in collaboration with KU Leuven, Belgium, University of Western Brittany, Brest, France with the support of Assointerpreti and the University of Salerno and the participation of Yildiz Technical University (Istanbul, Turkey), 5-6 May 2016.
- “Orhan Pamuk’s The Black Book and The Nights: The Rules of How to Tell A Story.” with Mehmet Kalpaklı. Colloque international Les Mille et une nuits : Sources, Transformations et liens avec la littérature, les arts et les sciences(II). INALCO, 9-11 December 2015.
- “Reading the 19th Century Ottoman Literary System under the Light of Patrons: How Did Patronage Influence the Flow of Translation from European Languages and the New Turkish Literature?”. Fourth World Congress for Middle East Studies (WOCMES). METU, 18-22 August 2014.
- “Translation in the Ottoman Literary System in the 19th Century and A Movement Towards Creating a New Literary Canon”. III.The Third Asian Languages and Literatures International Symposium (ADES). Erciyes University, 8-9 May 2014.
- “Kaya Sultan ve Melek Ahmed Paşa Anlatısında Rüyaların İşlevi” (The role of dreams in the narrative of Kaya Sultan and Melek Ahmed Pasha). International Conference on Evliya Çelebi’s Balkans. The Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts (MANU) and Bahçeşehir University Civilization Studies Center (MEDAM), 16-20 May 2012.
- “Müşfik’i kim anlattı?: Troya’da Ölüm Vardı’da Anlatıcılar” (Who told about Müşfik? The narrators in Death in Tory). Bilge Karasu’yu Okumak. Mimar Sinan University of Fine Arts: 5-6 May 2011.
- “Müşfik’in Öyküsü olarak Troya’da Ölüm Vardı” (Death in Troy as the story of Müşfik). Altı Ay Bir Güz Bilge Karasu Sempozyumu. Bilkent University, 13-14 December 2010.
- “Gender and Identity of Woman in Tuhaf Bir Kadın (A Strange Woman) by Leylâ Erbil and Two Women in One by Nawal El-Saadawi”. Third International Postgraduate Symposium. University of Limerick ve Comparative Literature Association of Ireland, 26-27 November 2010.
- “Dünyada İpek Yolu ile İlgili Çalışmalar, Projeler” (Projects and Studies Concerning the Silk Road), IICAS Symposium on Cultural Heritage on Silk Road. Antalya, 10 October 2010.